Youth First Community of Promise
Youth First Community of Promise – AmeriCorps Student Success Coach (Fall 2023)
Youth First Community of Promise is looking to fill one full-time AmeriCorps Student Success Coach for the 2023-2024 school year. Youth First is a non-profit youth organization located in Ramsey, that is a collaboration between the Anoka Hennepin School District, Anoka County, and the cities of Andover, Coon Rapids, and Ramsey. We provide direct programs and services to middle and high school youth who either live in or attend school in our service areas. www.youthfirst.net We partner with the Minnesota Alliance with Youth as a host site for AmeriCorps Promise Fellow (PF) positions.
What you will be doing:
AmeriCorps Promise Fellows (PFs) spend a school year helping a small group of students in grades 6 to 12 get the education they need to start off strong in life. Much more than a tutor, PFs use the proven Promise Fellow Model for youth support to provide one-on-one support for students who are struggling in school. You will foster your student’s unique talents, honor their voices, and help them prepare for graduation and beyond.
As a PF, you will join a statewide cohort supporting 6th – 12th-grade students. You will train alongside other individuals that have answered the call to serve, providing direct support for up to 30 students during the school year (September 1st – May 31st, with the option of extending through the summer). Promise Fellows support students in the areas of:
- Attendance:Provide attendance coaching, call home if students miss class, and increase student attendance by creating a caring adult relationship.
- Engagement:Provide avenues for increased youth engagement in school and the broader community by coordinating programs like lunchtime mentoring, book clubs, promoting youth leadership development, and connecting youth with civic opportunities.
- Course Performance:Help students set academic goals and provide before, in, and after school educational support for individuals and small groups as students work towards their goals.
- Close the opportunity gap. Minnesota has some of the largest educational disparities in the nation. As part of your service, you will be trained on equity-focused topics that enrich your understanding of and ability to support middle and high school students. As a Promise Fellow, you will learn how to identify and understand the systems that affect students and identify and enact solutions to the changes that your students are facing.
- Amplify youth voice. You will be trained by Minnesota Alliance with Youth staff and local experts in Motivational Interviewing and WOOP (Wish, Outcome, Obstacle, Plan) goal-setting practices, which strengthen young people’s autonomy and empower them to create change.
- Deepen self-awareness. During your AmeriCorps service, you will be able to explore and clarify YOUR unique strengths and interests and how to use those to meet YOUR personal and professional goals.
- Practice leadership. As a Promise Fellow, you will have the chance to develop and exercise lifelong leadership skills that will make you a powerful force for good.
- AmeriCorps Living Stipend:$1,000 twice per month for 35hrs/week, $750 twice per month for 25hrs/week, and $562 twice per month for 18hrs/week
- AmeriCorps Education Award:$4,826.50 Education Award upon successful completion of service. This award can be used toward federally qualifying student loans (federal student financial aid loans, not including ParentPlus loans) or future qualified post-secondary education. ($3,447.50 ed award for 25hrs/week, $2,626.27 for 18hrs/week)
- Benefits: 5-20 Flex days (must be approved by Alliance and Host Site), Health and dental insurance, qualified student loan forbearance, qualified childcare assistance, AmeriCoach life coach, TAP transportation card (metro area), support applying for SNAP benefits.
- 18 years or older
- High School graduate with a Diploma or GED
- A U.S. Citizen, U.S. National, or Lawful Permanent Resident Alien of the United States
- Able to pass a complete National Service Criminal Service History check
Learn more about the PF experience at: https://mnyouth.net/americorps/join-the-corps/the-pf-experience/
To APPLY for the position with Youth First:
- Send an email to: email@example.com and let us know what questions you have (if any) and that you are going to apply.
- Complete your application at: https://jobs.minnesotanonprofits.org/job/youth-first-community-of-promise-americorps-student-success-coach-october-2023-ramsey-minnesota-85002
Questions related to the AmeriCorps Promise Fellow program? Please contact Alex Soth at 612-476-0732 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Please note: This program is available to all, regardless of race, color, national origin, gender, age, religion, sexual orientation, disability, gender identity or expression, political affiliation, marital or parental status, genetic information, and military service. Reasonable accommodations are provided upon request for interviews and service activities. This document is available in alternative formats.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com