Youth First Community of Promise
Youth First Community of Promise – AmeriCorps Student Success Coach (2024)
Youth First Community of Promise is looking to fill two positions during the following time frames.
- January 16 – May 31 @ 35 hrs/week
- June 13 – August 16 @ 35 hrs/week
Youth First is a non-profit youth organization located in Ramsey, that is a collaboration between the Anoka Hennepin School District, Anoka County, and the cities of Andover, Coon Rapids, and Ramsey. We provide direct programs and services to middle and high school youth who either live in or attend school in our service areas. www.youthfirst.net We partner with the Minnesota Alliance with Youth as a host site for AmeriCorps Promise Fellow (PF) positions.
What you will be doing:
During the school year, you will help a small group of students in grades 6 to 12 get the education they need to start off strong in life. PFs use the proven Promise Fellow Model for youth support to provide one-on-one support for students who are struggling in school. You will foster your student’s unique talents, honor their voices, and help them prepare for graduation and beyond. Additionally, during some school release days, you will work with Youth First staff to coordinate activities at our Ramsey Youth Center and field trips.
The summer position (June-Aug) will work with Youth First staff at our Ramsey Youth Center to help coordinate and support our free summer program for middle and high school youth. We provide a structured program with many different activities, learning opportunities and field trips for the youth.
Promise Fellows support students in the areas of:
- Attendance:Provide attendance coaching, call home if students miss class, and increase student attendance by creating a caring adult relationship.
- Engagement:Provide avenues for increased youth engagement in school and the broader community by coordinating programs like lunchtime mentoring, book clubs, promoting youth leadership development, and connecting youth with civic opportunities.
- Course Performance:Help students set academic goals and provide before, in, and after school educational support for individuals and small groups as students work towards their goals.
- Close the opportunity gap. Minnesota has some of the largest educational disparities in the nation. As part of your service, you will be trained on equity-focused topics that enrich your understanding of and ability to support middle and high school students. As a Promise Fellow, you will learn how to identify and understand the systems that affect students and identify and enact solutions to the changes that your students are facing.
- Amplify youth voices. You will be trained by Minnesota Alliance with Youth staff and local experts in Motivational Interviewing and WOOP (Wish, Outcome, Obstacle, Plan) goal-setting practices, which strengthen young people’s autonomy and empower them to create change.
- Deepen self-awareness. During your AmeriCorps service, you will be able to explore and clarify YOUR unique strengths and interests and how to use those to meet YOUR personal and professional goals.
- Practice leadership. As a Promise Fellow, you will have the chance to develop and exercise lifelong leadership skills that will make you a powerful force for good.
- AmeriCorps Living Stipend:$1,000 twice per month for 35 hrs/week, $750 twice per month for 25 hrs/week, and $562 twice per month for 18 hrs/week
- AmeriCorps Education Award:$4,826.50 Education Award upon successful completion of service. This award can be used toward federally qualifying student loans (federal student financial aid loans, not including ParentPlus loans) or future qualified post-secondary education. ($3,447.50 ed award for 25 hrs/week, $2,626.27 for 18 hrs/week)
- Benefits: 5-20 Flex days (must be approved by Alliance and Host Site), Health and dental insurance, qualified student loan forbearance, qualified child care assistance, AmeriCoach life coach, TAP transportation card (metro area), support applying for SNAP benefits.
- 18 years or older
- High School graduate with a Diploma or GED
- A U.S. Citizen, U.S. National, or Lawful Permanent Resident Alien of the United States
- Able to pass a complete National Service Criminal Service History check
Learn more about the PF experience at: https://mnyouth.net/americorps/join-the-corps/the-pf-experience/
To APPLY for the position with Youth First:
- Send an email to: email@example.com and let us know what questions you have (if any) and that you are going to apply.
- Complete your application at: https://jobs.minnesotanonprofits.org/job/youth-first-community-of-promise-americorps-student-success-coach-january-2024-ramsey-minnesota-87426
Please note: This program is available to all, regardless of race, color, national origin, gender, age, religion, sexual orientation, disability, gender identity or expression, political affiliation, marital or parental status, genetic information, and military service. Reasonable accommodations are provided upon request for interviews and service activities. This document is available in alternative formats.